One of the most common questions we get is how to get rid of flies. Getting rid of flies can be challenging, but there are several effective methods you can try. Here are some steps you can take to help eliminate flies from your living space:
- Keep your environment clean: Flies are attracted to food residues and waste. Make sure to clean up spills and crumbs promptly. Regularly clean your kitchen, dining area, and any other areas where food is prepared or consumed.
- Dispose of trash properly: Ensure that your trash cans have tight-fitting lids and are emptied regularly. Keep outdoor trash bins away from entrances to your home.
- Store food properly: Seal and store food in airtight containers. This will prevent flies from accessing potential food sources.
- Eliminate breeding sites: Flies lay their eggs in moist organic materials like rotting food, compost, and animal waste. Regularly clean and maintain these areas to prevent fly larvae (maggots) from developing.
- Use fly traps: There are various types of fly traps available, such as sticky traps, electric traps, and baited traps. All are very helpful in reducing the fly population in your home.
- Natural repellents: Essential oils like citronella, eucalyptus, and lavender can act as natural fly repellents. You can place a few drops of these oils in a diffuser or mix them with water to create a spray.
- Screens and sealing: Install window screens and door sweeps to prevent flies from entering your home. Make sure there are no gaps or openings that flies can use to get inside.
- Regularly clean drains: Flies can breed in damp drains. Regularly clean and disinfect your drains to prevent this. If you have a garbage disposal, be sure to run hot water and bleach through it to remove any build up that would attract flies.
- Vinegar trap: Fill a bowl with apple cider vinegar and add a few drops of dish soap. The vinegar attracts the flies, and the soap reduces the surface tension, causing them to sink and drown.
- Professional pest control: If your fly infestation is severe or persistent, consider giving SafeSpray a call. We can help identify the source of the problem and use more targeted methods to eliminate the flies.
Remember that consistency is key when dealing with flies. Using a combination of these methods and maintaining good hygiene practices can significantly reduce the fly population in your home.